How Invisalign Works for Crowded Teeth
At Gorman & Bunch Orthodontics, we treat many patients with crowded teeth, which indicates a lack of sufficient space for new teeth to grow in properly along the dental arch. Sometimes this occurs when teeth are especially large, but it can also be caused by narrow top or bottom jaws, genetics, thumb sucking, and more.
A form of malocclusion (or misaligned teeth), crowded teeth can develop into worse problems over time, and, if left untreated, can cause various issues, such as:
- Difficulty brushing and flossing.
- Buildup of plaque, tartar, and harmful bacteria.
- An increased risk of gum disease.
- Damage or decay of your teeth.
- Negative impact on your smile’s appearance.
How to Clean Your Invisalign Aligners
How We Treat Crowded Teeth
If caught early, crowded teeth can be easily treatable. We oftentimes treat overcrowding with Invisalign — a non-invasive and convenient approach to correcting issues like crowded teeth and straightening your smile.
Invisalign works through a set of clear, removable aligners— custom made specifically for your mouth. Using 3D imaging, our doctors take measurements of your mouth and creates a customized set of aligners that patients wear throughout the teeth-straightening process. Patients wear each set of aligners for one to two weeks and only remove them when eating or brushing. As the teeth get straighter throughout the treatment, patients graduate from one set of aligners to the next.
The Benefits of Invisalign for Overcrowding
1. Physical Appearance: The clear, plastic aligners are hardly noticeable (as opposed to metal braces), making the aesthetic appeal one of the biggest reasons people choose to get Invisalign.
2. Good Dental Hygiene: With Invisalign, patients remove the aligners when it’s time to eat, drink and brush or floss, which allows the teeth to stay extremely clean and clear of food throughout the day
3. Customized Approach: Each aligner is designed exactly to the patient’s orthodontic situation, meaning the Invisalign process can often be more comfortable than other forms of treatment.
4. Removable Aligners: Because they can be removed at any time (though we prefer them in for around 22 hours per day), Invisalign has less of an effect on one’s lifestyle than metal braces. Patients can eat whatever they want, participate in all sports, and play any instruments without interference from metal brackets, wires or elastics.
The process of Invisalign works to treat overcrowded teeth by gradually pushing teeth into proper alignment, moving each tooth up to a quarter of a millimeter with each new set of aligners. As teeth shift, this creates more space in the mouth, reduces overcrowding and eventually moves teeth to their correct positions. The duration of Invisalign use varies per person, depending on the level of overcrowding. Some patients only need a few months of treatment, while others take a couple years. We work with all our patients to determine a personalized treatment plan.
Interested in learning more about how Gorman & Bunch Orthodontics can help you or your child with overcrowded teeth? Schedule a free consultation today. We look forward to meeting you!